Monday, January 6, 2014

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst

I took that quote, "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" from "Young Forever" feat. Mr Hudson by Jay-Z.
That one line from the song keeps replaying in my head. You could say it's "stuck in my head."
And since it's "stuck in my head," of course I thought about the line itself, and its lyrics.
This Jay-Z song really is meaningful, apparently.

This line basically describes my life. It's what I always do. I hope for the best, but I expect the worst. Here are some examples.
  • I'd already taken a school test. I hope for a good grade, but I don't expect to get a good grade.
  • When I started this blog, I hoped for a lot of readers, but I expected to get just my friends.
    • Which is basically true. The most traffic in 1 day this blog has ever seen is 15 people.
  • I hoped my friends would give me some little things for my birthday, but I expected nothing.
    • I got a shortbread cookie, string cheese (lol), a piece of a soft pretzel, and a nail polish (thank you 11k from Sparkles and Scribbles!).
  • I hope to get enough sleep, but I expect not to get enough sleep, and be a zombie at school.
    • Especially when I stay up late watching YouTube.
This logic works out quite well for me. I expect the worst, so I'm never disappointed. But I still hold out hope, just in case, so that my life doesn't completely suck.

Who knew Jay-Z had a British accent? You all probably did, but I didn't.

I encourage you all to "hope for the best but expect the worst." This way, you are never disappointed, but you are sometimes pleasantly surprised. Don't think of it as being pessimistic. Think of it as protecting yourself from disappointment. Some people might think that if you think this way, you probably have a sad, depressing life. Which may be true for some people. I don't know. If this doesn't work for you, go ahead and make up your own theory. In fact, I invite you to do so, and there you go, you're basically a philosopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment