I'm going to tell you right off the bat that I think dress codes are sexist and ridiculous. I'm actually considering doing a report on the topic in school. Hm...
Dress codes are put in place to prevent guys from getting distracted.
Common dress codes include:
- No leggings or yoga pants
- No cleavage
- No shorts stopping above the knee, or maybe the "down to your fingertips" rule
- No sleeveless shirts or no spaghetti-strap tank tops, or even no tank tops
- No sheer shirts with a visible bra/bandeau
- So girls take the fall for this and WE are getting punished, even though its the boys' fault for getting distracted so easily? How about make a rule against pervy guys who check girls out at school?
- Most guys (according to my brother at least) aren't looking for dates while they're at school. When they're at school, they're trying to learn and pay attention in class. They're not concerned about girls.
- The rule itself is sexist. You don't hear about banning guys' underwear showing when their jeans are at their knees, or banning guys taking their shirts off. What if those things distract us girls, wouldn't that be equal to the dress codes restricting girls? So if only girls are getting restricted and not guys, that's sexist.