Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Overthinking

Ashley Wagner's surprised face when she got a bad score in the Olympics. This girl doesn't know how to accept failure.

This post was inspired by TheMazziMaz's video on YouTube, How To Stop Overthinking. This post is going to be more about the fact that I stopped overthinking more than people who overthink.

I guess one day I woke up and decided to stop overthinking. Overthinking is just too much. I can't handle it. I like to use the philosophy "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it." This saying is probably often used to justify procrastination. I probably do that too, but only for things that really suck. Ex. Studying for a test. I DESPISE studying for tests.
People overthink when:
  • A guy texts her. She mulls over what to say.
  • Buying stuff. People don't know if they should buy a certain item or not, so they stay in the store forever.
  • After a test, students look at their notes to find out what they got wrong, even though the test is over and this won't help them at all.
  • People are anxious to get their standardized testing scores back. Even though it doesn't affect their grades at all (unless you fail).
  • People care too much about what other people think. They are self-conscious because they aren't sure if their eyeliner matches on both sides, or whatever. They're worried about how society portrays them.
  • People plan out the future. I understand if you want to take certain classes now to prepare you for college or something, but planning out what you're going to do when you come home after school is useless. Take it day by day; live in the moment.
  • For some people, if they get a bad grade on a test, they will get upset over it. They haven't learned to accept failure. If you fail at something, it's all over and done with. There's nothing you can do now. You can't take it back.
  • Next time you get a bad grade on a test, instead of letting the guilt wash over you like a migraine (I know the feeling), feel nothing. It's all in the past now. Stare at the grade, and accept it. You didn't get an A. So what? You've learned how to accept failure, which might be an even more valuable lesson to learn than those math concepts. It might seem basic, but some people who strive for the best don't know how to accept it when they are unsuccessful.
  • Don't live in the future, but don't live in the past either. If you get a bad grade, don't cry over it. "Don't cry over spilled milk." Clean it up instead.
I don't know when this happened, but one day I decided that I will not overthink anymore. My friends keep telling me I'm basically repelling guys by wearing so much makeup. If they don't like my makeup, that's part of my personality, and if you don't like my personality, don't be friends with me.
About the texting guys thing, it's very hard to avoid. I totes sympathize.

If I like an item enough, I'll want to buy it. If I'm not sure, maybe I shouldn't buy it. But I don't want to keep putting it on and taking it off to decide which size to get. This has to do with laziness too, but also efficiency. I want to make decisions quickly, and not overthink these decisions, so I can get it over with. If a store has a bad return policy, I don't care because I shouldn't need to exercise the return policy if I like an item enough to purchase it. (I'm sure my mom can name a few times I haven't abided by this rule.)

Life isn't a set of rules. I won't follow this "don't overthink" Rule of Life if I don't feel like it. I'm not making a rubric for my life. I'll do what I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. My decisions have nothing to do with anyone else. So if I feel like doing something, that's what I'll do. I won't think about it, then do it.
This means that sometimes I say things that I regret. But those things have taught me lessons. I should just be a nicer person in general so that I don't have to filter myself when I'm talking.

The overall message of this post is that overthinking won't help you in the long run. In the long run, it won't help you if you know you got that 1 question wrong on that math test. You still don't know what your score is. And so what if you DO know what your score is? You can't change it now.

In order to leave on a happier note (like my mom always says), let's talk about Flappy Bird. Flappy Bird was the #1 most popular app on the App Store in the U.S. for weeks. Until the developer took it down. That's right, you can no longer download this free app. Some people have the update with higher quality pipes (some have automatic updates on their devices). I for one am surprised that this app got an update shortly before being deleted. This was all a marketing technique, as my brother told me. He said that the developer announcing the deletion of Flappy Bird days before its actual deletion was a way to make many more people download the app. I'm sure it worked.
Well, now people are selling their iPhones complete with Flappy Bird for up to $20,000 on Ebay. Can you believe that? I'm sure there are Flappy Bird dupes out there that are almost as good. I'd rather get a less-good version of the app instead of paying millions of dollars for a phone worth $650.

No comments:

Post a Comment