Tuesday, February 4, 2014

People Who Like Music For the Wrong Reasons

Credit to: my brother, for helping to inspire this post, and Sparkles and Scribbles for agreeing with me. :)

I have been noticing lately that a lot of people like music for the wrong reasons. A lot of people, especially teens, like music for the wrong reasons, for example:
  • The singer is hot
  • The song is in the top 40
  • The song was on the radio
  • The singer plays the drums
  • It has a good beat
  • The auto-tune is good
People who listen to music for the right reasons listen to music because:
  • They actually like the music
  • Effort was put into making the song. It took time.
  • The song is good quality
  • The lyrics have a good moral
  • The singer has talent, not auto-tuned to perfection
  • The singer could be hot, or could not be, these people won't care
I understand if you like pop/top 40 music because the lyrics are good and it has a good beat. That's fine. I just think people should expand their horizons. I know it's hard to pay attention to the lyrics of a song, and if you don't, it's all good. I just think that you shouldn't listen to music solely because it's popular. Maybe you do like the popular songs. That's all fine and good, but instead of ONLY listening to that music, you should bother to find music on your own. Don't mindlessly jump on the bandwagon.
People say I have weird taste in music. I like to think I like a range of different music and different music genres. I like dubstep, alternative, pop, a lot of stuff (see my "Music" post, where I list some of my favorite songs). I think it's not that I'm open-minded about music, it's that other people are close-minded about music.
This post was inspired by Super Bowl 48. This is because all of my friends are saying "The Red Hot Chili Peppers ruined the halftime show!" Yet it is the utter opposite. They are close-minded about music and have never heard a note sung by the Red Hot Chili Peppers before in their lives, and yet they think they can judge them by just one line of music? If you saw the halftime show, you know that Bruno Mars was singing along with Give It Away by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. That instantly ruined their one line. Bruno Mars screwed up their song by simply singing along, Bruno Mars-ifying it. How insulting would that be, if you were a singer, and someone else sung along with you to your own song? Bruno Mars is in the wrong here, not just musically! I normally don't mind Bruno Mars or his music, but the fact that everyone said the Red Hot Chili Peppers were the problem? That really pissed me off. I knew that my friends didn't know a thing about the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and they probably liked their music if they didn't pay attention to what they looked like (which is actually very fit for 50 year old men). So to test this theory, I sent a video to my friends of a black screen and Scar Tissue playing from my computer, and they liked it. The point is, don't judge a book by its cover, just like what I've been saying all along.

Bottom line is, try to expand your horizons when it comes to music! Find new music you've never heard of before, and don't judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment