Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Past is in the Past & Impolite Students

Don't dwell on the past. Let it go. As Demi Lovato and Idina Menzel say, "the past is in the past / let it go".
WHY I think you shouldn't dwell on the past: you can't change what has already happened. It's too late. (it's too late baby now, it's too late...)
Some examples of things that might have happened in the past that you shouldn't dwell on:
  • Getting rejected.
  • A crush who might've liked you a long time ago but probably doesn't anymore.
  • A dead relative (etc.)
  • Something you wish you'd bought but didn't.

Now let's have a little rant about people who are impolite. **I already rewrote this post once, and I couldn't get myself to rewrite the entire thing for a 3rd time, so that explains it if it's a little lame.** I'll try to add in some positive stuff about how much I appreciate people being polite to me.
Things people do that I do not appreciate because these actions are impolite:
  • We have those desks in science with an arm that connects the desk and the chair, and you can't reach over OR under said "arm" to get a pen you dropped. So if you drop a pen, you rely on the person on your right to pick it up for you. If you're lucky, they'll offer and you won't have to ask. But me being very un-charismatic, I never ask. So my other options are: kick it towards me and get scratches on the pen (I'm OCD, okay?) or walk all the way around the row of desks to get it.
  • People who don't follow Door Etiquette and close the door on your face. In school, the halls are crowded and there are no door holders (you know the wedge that prevents doors from closing?), so while we hold the door for the next person (usually by pushing the door open further once), and that person pushes the door open wider while they're walking through.
  • When nobody lets me into the classroom. You see, some teachers leave their doors locked and closed all day, figuring people can knock on the door if they need to come in (I like to leave the door almost closed but not closed so I can get back in without knocking, but sometimes the teacher of all people closes it while I'm gone). But sometimes I knock and nobody lets me in! So the TEACHER has to let me in because I'm that unpopular.
  • When I say "bless you" to someone and they don't thank me
  • When I do something nice for someone (like pick up their pen without them asking or open the locked classroom door for them) and they don't thank me
  • When you smile at a stranger and they don't smile back
However, I do appreciate it when people pick up my pens without my asking, when they say "bless you", when they open a locked classroom door for me, or when they hold the door for me. On the other hand, people don't do these acts of kindness on a regular basis (especially not for me). I rarely get "bless you"s, people picking up my pens, or people opening the locked classroom door for me. I notice that people do this for others but not me. Other people always get "bless"ed. Other people always get their pens picked up, or the locked classroom door opened for them. But then there's me. I'm that unpopular, apparently. That's a good feeling. Not.

Though people don't return the favor, I try to be a nice, polite person. I always say "please" and "thank you," I smile at strangers, including the lunch lady/man. I offer up the seat next to me on the bus if someone's looking for a seat, no matter who they are (well, that's not true. I will not offer up the seat next to me to someone who I know is rude or mean). I pick up people's pens and open the locked classroom door for them when I sit near the door. In this situation, I don't care if the good deed-receiver is mean or rude, because I know that no matter who it is, they won't appreciate it enough until they experience the absence of this good deed. But I do it anyway because I want to be a good person and being polite and nice makes me feel good.
Alternatively, when I offer someone a seat on the bus, however, they know how it feels to have nowhere to sit. Though they might just say "thank you," I know they appreciate it. I sympathize with these people because I've been in this situation before. Last year, two 8th graders vacated their seats and sat together to give me somewhere to sit. I was so grateful. I want to be those two 8th graders for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment