Thursday, May 8, 2014

Things I've Learned As a Short Girl

OMG, I just realized this has been unpublished as a "Draft" for DAYS! I wrote this like a week ago! I was so excited for my friends to see it, too, and now I realize it's been here all this time!



I thought of the idea for this post literally 30 seconds ago so now I'm writing it while it's still fresh in my mind.
Anyway, this is things I've learned as a short/small/petite girl. My height has taught me a lot of valuable life lessons and I want to share them. If you're also a short girl, you can probably relate and/or learn from some of these things. If you're tall, this will maybe help you sympathize with short girls...?

SO HERE WE GO
  • Never buy something thinking you'll "grow into it," because chances are, you won't.
  • You have to learn to make peace with your height, or you'll always hate the way you look. After all, there's no way to get taller. I'd suggest not drinking coffee though, just as a precaution. :) Being short has taught me to love me the way I am, and not hope to be someone I'm not and will never me. I'll never be a good basketball player or runner or swimmer because I have short limbs. Sports wouldn't be my forte, either way (short or tall).
  • You learn how to not let other people affect you when they make fun of you. People will make fun of you for being short, but that just makes you stronger (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger). This is probably why I don't care (enjoy it, if you will) when people mock me. My friends have told me people mock me. And it's okay with me. If you don't like me, not my problem biotch. You're the one who's gonna be all annoyed all the time.
  • I know it's hard to believe, but being short has taught me how to be confident. When I came to the realization that I have to love myself at the height I am, I realized that I'm not getting any prettier, or any uglier for that matter. I am who I am because everyone else is taken. So I might as well make the best of it. And in turn, this has improved my swimming because confidence plays a role in your sports (I will talk about this in a blog post soon).
  • Downfalls of being short:
    • You will have to hem long sleeves and long pants, let them bunch up at the ends, or cuff them. In fact, I kind of like the bunched-up look, for pants anyway. For shirts, you can always push up the sleeves so no one will notice.
    • When you hug normal-sized people, your face is in their chest, not over their shoulder.
    • You have to look up when talking to normal-sized or tall people.
    • You will never look as old as you are. This can be considered a perk if you're above 30, though. But I'm not. So there.
    • I don't know this for sure, but normal sized to tall people are probably looking down your shirt all the time.
    • Your legs are short and you look weird in dresses/skirts that fall lower than the knee.
    • Younger kids are taller than you a good 50% of the time. I babysit kids who are taller than me sometimes... When I was doing my 5th grade tour, I saw someone I know in the hallway and they happened to comment on my height, so we (my minions and I) got into a discussion about my height and one of the fifth graders PITIED me. Yeah, as if you're so tall. I don't think you'll appreciate it when your first girlfriend 10 years from now is taller than you.
  • Perks of being short:
    • You can fit into kids' sizes.
    • You can keep clothes for years until they wear out, because you'll never grow out of them. I have multiple shirts from 5th grade (I made a big wardrobe switch in fifth grade from little kids' clothes to teen clothes). In fact, my favorite shirt is (and always has been) from 5th grade.
    • You can stand up straight in the attics of old houses.
    • You can pass off as being 12 for ordering off the kids' menu.
    • You'll never be taller than your boyfriend, if you care about that sort of thing.
    • Your shoe size doesn't really change either so you can keep shoes until they look like they survived a hurricane!
    • Being short is a good conversation starter if you want to make friends with someone. You can say something like "I'm soooo glad stores are selling shorts again. Jeans are always too long on me," and that person can either relate or is fascinated.
    • High-waisted shorts, skirts, and pants look extra good on you. They make your legs look longer.
    • Short skirts look extra good on you for the same reason.
    • You never have to worry about people being able to see up your skirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment