Friday, August 22, 2014

Advice & Stories 6

Hello my little blog-reading minions. Today I wanted to share with you some interesting stories, in honor of my 100th blog post. If you're my friend, you probably know every single one of these stories.
I deleted a few of these, I'll replace them with some advice tomorrow.

A broken home
One day last year, I came home from babysitting. I knew my mom was home, but I was knocking on the door and nobody was opening it. I didn't have my key with me, and the doorbell was at the other door. I knocked and knocked and nobody was answering the door. So I knocked harder, in hopes of making a louder sound. Well, I broke the window. I was knocking on the glass part of the door, because it makes a louder sound. I wasn't expecting it to break so easily! Now it's an inside joke with my friends... "Julia smash!" I probably should have withheld that story from my friends.

Oops, blocked him
This was actually not too long ago, maybe a week or two ago. I was at a Chinese restaurant with my friend's family, and one of the waiters gave me a note. It was on yellow paper, folded up really small. It said, "I was the boy sitting across the room in the white shirt. You should text me sometime :)" and he signed his name (withheld for security reasons). I texted him, and he texted back a while later. We talked for a while, we had a pretty long conversation actually. He was nice. And he was 15, a year older. A 10th grader woah! He asked me to hang out, and I agreed but in a public place and with friends. But then he asked something weird and possibly perverted, so I blocked him. I feel guilty about that.

The evil frizz
I think all people can agree on this, regardless of their hair type (curly, wavy, straight, etc) - frizz is horrible and almost inevitable.
I have realized that I have a lot of frizz. I don't know why this hadn't occurred to me before this summer. I did tons of research online and I came to a conclusion: it's inevitable. Frizz is impossible to fix, tame, or avoid. But yesterday I decided to find out for myself. I went to CVS and bought a Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner for "frizzy, dry, unmanagable hair." I know that's not my hair type but it was the only one they had. I was looking for the Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk, but settled on this instead. I also got the Garnier Fructis anti-frizz serum. These both smell great, but the scent kind of dissipates after an hour or so. They do make my hair a bit softer, add a touch of shine, and slightly reduce frizz.
I think that my frizz problem is a result of having dry hair. I have dry skin as well so I guess it makes sense. So if you have oily hair, you have NOTHING to complain about.
I have come to a conclusion: the only solution is straightening your hair. I borrowed a friend's flatiron and tried it, and it's amazing. It almost completely eliminated frizz, and straighened the annoying curly/wavy strands at the front of my hair (around my face), and the outward flip at my ends.

To straighten, or to blow dry?
Straighten. Blow drying dries out your hair (as the name implies... ha ha), but straightening doesn't. However, if you don't use a heat protectant, straightening will still dry out your hair.

New school advice
Nobody has ever asked me about this, but I thought I'd give you my two cents anyway, because I have something to say. This applies to people starting middle school or high school, or moving to a new school in a new town.
You've all already heard all the "be friendly and reach out to people, get good grades" crap. We all already know. We have figured that out already. But my advice is to rock that new outfit on the first day of school. Do whatever you have to, to feel confident and ready to make new friends. If that means wearing a skirt or dress and curling your hair, go for it! Do what makes YOU feel confident. Feeling pretty and confident makes you feel way more motivated to make new friends. That's my advice right there. We know how to make friends, we just don't want to. And here's a way to help you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment