Saturday, November 29, 2014

Drinking Age

In 1984, Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which required states to raise their ages for purchase and public possession to 21 by October 1986 or lose 10% of their federal highway funds.

Seeing as I've had a lot of free time with my family recently, I've heard some interesting viewpoints on topics of discussion.
Here's some food for thought on the drinking age:
If I'm a legal adult, and I can enlist for the army or be tried as an adult, should I not be treated like an adult and have all the perks of adulthood (i.e, drinking)?
I may have slightly reworded it, but you get the idea. What my brother was saying is that if 18 year-olds are treated like an adult in some ways, they should be an adult overall. That if they can  have jury duty, they should be able to drink.
Another point on why the drinking age should be lowered:
Increasing the drinking age has not been effective in preventing college kids from drinking. There are still 21 year-olds in college, and they just pass along the alcohol.
So what do you think now?

No comments:

Post a Comment