Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Why I'm Atheist

Religions--The Bible in particular--tend to be very sexist. I don't believe in sexism.
"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and they conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." (Genesis 3:16 KJV)
The author is suggesting that a woman's loyalty should always be to only her husband, and she will suffer in childbirth and inferiority to men. I don't believe in that. I think it's an honor to give birth to humans--women around the world create humans. How cool is that?! Can't say that for men, can you? And it probably goes without saying, but I don't believe women are inferior to men. Girl power!
"And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh thereof;
"And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
"And Adam said... She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." (Genesis 2:21-23 KJV)
This passage bothers me for many reasons. For one: of course man was created before woman! And of course "woman" was named after man (although that doesn't mean I'm going to boycott the use of the word "woman"). Also, wouldn't it make more sense if a woman was created first? Then they could pull a Virgin Mary and have her give birth to a man (I can see how that would be a problem with the reproducing thing... But that's beside the point). But of course God decided that logic was trivial and he can do whatever he wants. Humph.

No comments:

Post a Comment