Sunday, May 10, 2015

False Advertising

I used to not believe in false advertising. But lately I've been looking into hedonism a lot, and I've changed my opinion on a lot of things.
If you don't know what I'm talking about (actually I'd be surprised if you did know what I'm talking about because I haven't said it yet), here's some examples of "false advertising":
  • Wearing a shirt for a band you don't listen to (I'm guilty of this. I have a Metallica shirt and I don't really like Metallica. I have one song from them. And I'm pretty sure I started listening to Madonna the day after I bought the shirt. And I bought my Pink Floyd shirt back when I only had like 3 of their songs.)
  • Wearing a cross necklace if you're not Christian. (I've considered it, because the cross is aesthetically beautiful, but I am so opposed to Christianity, I just can't.)
  • Putting an Apple sticker on a PC.
  • Wearing grunge without supporting emo beliefs.
  • Listening to a band without knowing every single fact about them.
Now, I'm not going to bash people for hating "false advertising" but I will say I think false advertising is 100% okay. Here's why:
  • Life is short. Do whatever you want.
  • To me, the goal of life is to enjoy yourself and help others do the same. If wearing that shirt for that band you don't listen will make you enjoy yourself and make you happy, GO FOR IT. BY ALL MEANS.
  • In my opinion, there's no such thing as a "guilty pleasure." Any pleasure is perfectly fine and you shouldn't feel guilty about it! (unless it's mutilating yourself or someone else. Obviously that's not okay.)
  • If you think it looks good, and you like it, wear it! Who cares what anyone else thinks?
  • There's so many fashion trends that supposedly require a certain hobby or personality. If you don't fit the bill, I say wear it anyway. You might feel a little awkward at first, but chances are, no one will say anything anyway.
So after all that, I'm going to wear my Metallica shirt to school tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment