Saturday, June 13, 2015

My Summer Plans

The last month of school, everyone always asks me, "do you have any plans over summer break?" and I always say "no." But that's not completely true. I plan to have a self-improving and enlightening summer (and enjoy myself while doing so), and still hang out with my friends and do regular summer stuff.

Regular summer stuff I will do over summer:
  • Go to the beach
  • Hang out with friends
  • Scroll through Tumblr, watch YouTube videos, read PT, Yik Yak
  • Watch Orphan Black
  • Eat watermelon
  • Buy fun summer clothes (bikinis!)
  • Let go of the stress of school and enjoy myself for two and a half months

Irregular, enlightening summer stuff I will do over summer:
  • Get my own library card
  • Write more blog posts about things I genuinely care about and am passionate about
  • Enjoy nature and read
    • Walk to the local library near my house and pick up a book
    • Go on walks in nature and just enjoy the scenery
    • Read a book in a quiet place outdoors
  • Practice handwriting so I don't forget how to write when I get back to school
  • Bask in the sonorous sounds of music through good quality earphones (to make the experience better and immerse myself)
  • Laugh a lot
  • Have deep conversations with friends and family to help improve myself and learn
  • Appreciate what I take for granted
  • Learn:
    • about the world around me
    • current events
    • world history
    • how to improve myself
    • self-actualize
    • achieve a higher level of consciousness
    • how to be a better person
    • how to be happy and learn about hedonism
    • how to let go of others' expectations yet still make myself happy (sometimes others' expectations overlap with what makes us happy)
    • how to be confident (sorry to throw that superficiality in there, had to)
  • Read:
    • an atlas and learn about world geography
    • history books
    • the social section on my Period Tracker Deluxe app (I just try not to be affected by other people's opinions)
    • Nytimes
    • Google News
    • Self-improvement novels (source) (source)
      • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (not to label myself as an introvert. I prefer to go unlabeled. I love spending time with friends.)
      • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart TolleDrive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink
      • The Willpower Instinct: How Self Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It by Kelly McGonigal
      • The Breakout Principle: How to Activate the Natural Trigger That Maximizes Creativity, Athletic Performance, Productivity, and Personal Well-Being by Herbert Benson
      • The Road Less Traveled, Timeless Edition: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth by M. Scott Peck
      • Handbook to Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes
    • Classics that may also help with self-improvement
      • On the Road by Jack Kerouac
      • The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent A Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin
I probably won't get to all of the books, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make an adventure/journey out of it. I'm currently self-actualized enough to know I have problems, but not how to fix all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment