Saturday, August 22, 2015

Back to School Advice

I don't know who I'm writing this post for, because nobody who reads my blog needs this advice. I just thought I'd put it out there? I really just needed to post.

  1. Try to be unique instead of trying to fit in. If you want to wear those cat tights, go right ahead. Don't refrain from doing so because nobody else is doing it. Do what makes you happy, and in the end if you still feel like you stand out and you aren't happy, stop doing it. For example, if you want to go to school in cat tights but you know nobody else will and you feel like you're stick out, do it anyway. If you do it, and people look at you but you don't care, cool! This will encourage you to keep wearing what you want. If you do it, and people look at you, but you feel like everyone's eyes are on you and you're downright uncomfortable, don't wear those tights again because you will feel uncomfortable and it won't improve your overall happiness.
  2. Regarding making new friends: be you, and people will like you for your unique qualities. Don't try to fit in or conform to what everyone else likes to relate to them. You don't have to share all the same interests to be friends with someone! That is not the only way to make friends! With a lot of my friends, they like rom com and I like horror. They like pop and I like classic rock. When you click with someone, it won't matter if you like the same things. When you're friends with someone, you can talk and talk and never run out of things to say. That's friendship. Not bonding over the cutest 5sos boys. Although, you can totally do that too (5sos trash right here). Your unique qualities is what makes you click with someone. So don't repress that.
  3. A great conversation starter is wearing a T-shirt with a logo on it. Maybe a logo for a band you like or a cute meme. More people will approach you, because they already know what to say, and it's clear that you have some of the same interests.
  4. Don't worry too much. The more you worry and spend time being anxious about something (whether it be an upcoming project or test or making new friends), the more difficult it will be when it happens. Just try not to think so heavily about it. Change your mindset from "worried/anxious" to "excited/eager." I understand that this is easier said than done, especially if you have an anxiety disorder, but I went through a time in my life where I had self-diagnosed social anxiety and I used this technique and I think I'm doing a lot better now. All I had to do was gradually try to be friendlier and not overthink so much. When someone waves to me, instead of wondering if they're actually waving to me or the person behind me, I just wave back. Sometimes it will be the person behind me, but making mistakes and getting embarrassed is part of having a social life.
  5. If you have trouble falling asleep because you're stressed out and have a lot on your mind, have a sheet of paper (or whiteboard or something similar. I use my Boogie Board. So green.) by your bed and write down what's bothering you. It helps me to get it all out so I don't have to think about it anymore. There's nothing you can do when you're going to sleep, so you might as well relax and enjoy your overnight rejuvenation.
  6. If you're mysteriously having trouble sleeping, even after trying tip #4, try turning off all sources of light in the room. Even the light from a digital alarm clock or the green light from your charging laptop can be distracting and interrupt your natural sleep cycle.
  7. Find a happy medium between doing schoolwork and doing fun things. Don't spend too much time on either.
  8. Sometimes there is no happy medium because there simply isn't enough time in a day. Keep this in mind, and cut out or cut back on certain things such as extracurriculars, clubs, sports, maybe even spending time with your friends. But school is #1. School is your future. Don't find yourself in however many years, not getting into your dream school, and regretting not spending enough time studying. Don't realize it when it's happening.
  9. College doesn't have to be your motivation to do well in school. Most people have an instinct to do well in school, but some don't. Some people just don't think that way. There's not much you can do about that. Find your motivation instead. Maybe it's to do what you want later in life. Maybe it's to have a family when you grow up. Maybe it's to move to New York. Maybe it's simply to make your parents happy. Maybe it's that accomplished feeling when you see an "A" on your report card.
  10. Regarding when people ask you what you want to do when you grow up: it's okay not to know now. In fact, it might even be better not to know, because then you won't feel locked in or trapped in a particular occupation, and later discover that's not what you want to do at all.
  11. Right now, instead of focusing on what you want to do when you grow up, focus on what you want to do now. That will in turn help you figure out what you want to do later when the time comes. But for now, focus on what you enjoy doing and what makes you happy. What do you do in your spare time? What are your hobbies?
  12. Be confident. Love yourself. Look at yourself in the mirror and love what you see. Realize that you are fucking beautiful, no matter what happens; no matter what anyone says; no matter how hard you are on yourself. You are beautiful, and that is fact. Sometimes when you get wrapped up in school, it's easy to get down on yourself. Don't.
  13. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. I always see people with eyebrows that are on fleek and think to myself, "damn. I wish I had her eyebrows." But then I get home and try to replicate that with an eyebrow pencil in hand and brow products scattered around me, and it doesn't look the same on me as it did on her. Everything will look different on everyone. You're beautiful in your own way, not in comparison to anyone else.
  14. DIY projects will probably never turn out how you wanted or expected. Let it go. LOL. Maybe try a different route for whatever you're trying to achieve.
  15. Indulge, but everything in moderation. Eat a few cheez-its, not the whole box. If you eat a few, you'll probably get the same effect as if you ate the whole box, just without all the guilt and it was for a prolonged amount of time. At the end of the day, you're not going to remember how great those cheez-its were. The happiness was temporary. It's worth it to sacrifice those cheez-its for healthy eating.
  16. However, if you're on a sports team and you're working out for 2+ hours a day, I'm sure you can eat whatever your little heart desires. They say a healthy lifestyle is part diet, part exercise, but if you exercise enough, you can skip the whole "diet" thing. It's not like you're looking to come out looking like a model. You just want to get through the season and enjoy your sport. This is probably terrible advice.
  17. If you have a bad teacher, my best advice is: first go home and try to figure it out yourself, because nobody can explain it to you better than you can, and if you can't, go to your teacher after school with specific questions. I suggest you write down your questions so you don't confuse yourself right before you go see your teacher.
  18. Don't be awkward or shy about asking questions. Your teacher is there to help. No question is a stupid question. Trust me, they've seen it all before.
  19. Everyone looks like they have their shit together, but when they're in the shower, thinking about life, shit goes down. Everyone has that time of day when they ponder life questions and basically have a mini existential crisis. Most people just don't talk about it. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, you just don't know about it. People have a way of hiding what's really happening, because they don't think anyone cares or needs/wants to know.
  20. Look it up. The Internet is a beautiful place. Unless it's an incredibly specific life question, someone has probably addressed your question in some dark corner of the Internet. If it's a homework question, and it's specific, there are websites that take algebraic equations and solve them for you. If it's a proof for geometry, yeah maybe they can't help you. I would go in to school early to see your teacher about it if you honestly cannot figure it out.
  21. There's always a solution, don't get worked up about it. Especially don't get worked up about it if there's a solution that you're avoiding. For example, if there's a proof you can't solve, and you tried looking it up and asking both of your parents, all your siblings, and all of your friends, and you know your teacher wouldn't mind if you went in to school early and asked for help on it but you don't want to get up early, just do it. There's no use freaking out about it when that's really the best [only] option.
  22. If you don't have time to go see your teacher, email them. This is only if you have absolutely no time to see them in person. They will understand! Teachers are people too, and they've been through this. Explain that you have no frees this week or before the assignment is due, but you really need help on it. Maybe they'll give you an extension on the due date or offer to stay after school to help you. Teachers (hopefully) want you to learn. And don't spend too much time artfully crafting a professional-sounding email to your teacher. It shouldn't be that difficult. Just do it. Stop being so nervous.
  23. Sometimes it will feel like you're at your breaking point, when you've had five hours of sleep this whole week and you have multiple projects due and you just feel like you're going to drop dead... But all of your friends want to hang out. You can't. Don't try to. If you feel like you're going to explode or black out, sometimes you need to say no to hanging out because you physically can't. And don't feel bad about it. They should understand. Say something like "I've had a really terrible and mentally/physically strenuous week, and I would love to hang out, but I just need to rest. Hopefully we can find the time to hang out another time. I just can't right now." It sucks that you'll be missing out, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Says the girl who's writing this at 3:19am and is slightly sleep-deprived even though it's summer vacation. ;)
I hope you got something out of this, or if not, at least I enjoyed writing it. I learned a lot of this from The Happiness Project and things I realized during my Self Improvement Summer and life experience. I finished my first year of high school, so I like to think I have a bit of experience under my belt. Bask in your last few moments in the freedom of summer. Actually though. I have under a week left until school activities begin. shoot me

1 comment:

  1. This is actually making me optimistic for school :) also nice post about Pages vs Word - it was super helpful!

    ReplyDelete