Saturday, October 17, 2015

How to Wear Colored Mascara

If you're friends with me, you know I love to try outrageous and unconventional makeup. I live for black lipstick and a blue smoky eye. But I recently rediscovered a more wearable unconventional makeup product: colored mascara.
(source unavailable)


Maybelline Great Lash limited edition colored mascara (source)



I bought three of the Maybelline limited edition Great Lash mascara back in the summer of 2013 when they came out (in Wink of Pink, Teal Appeal, and Vision in Violet), along with the one colored mascara from their permanent line (in Royal Blue). I remember I had the toughest time choosing which colors to buy. I was there with a friend, and was on a seventh grader's budget. Yesterday I had to dress in all pink for spirit day because I had a swim meet that evening. I thought it the perfect opportunity to don pink mascara (with matching pink lipstick, too). It was a big hit at school! A classmate from the swim team mentioned it at practice because she heard about it but didn't get to see it in action. I got tons of compliments! But pulling off colored mascara is no easy feat. Allow me to offer some tips and brand suggestions.

Where to Buy Colored Mascara
DRUGSTORE brands that offer colored mascaras:

  1. NYX's "Color Mascara", $7
  2. Maybelline's "Great Lash Washable Mascara," $7
  3. Milani's "Lash Art Colored Mascara," $5
  4. Physicians Formula's "Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Mascara," $11
  5. Covergirl's "Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening Mascara," $9
  6. Here's some high-end/department store ones
Outdated drugstore limited edition colored mascara lines:
  1. L'Oreal Paris's "Voluminous Color Creations Mascara" from 2014
  2. Wet n Wild's "Color Up! Colored Mascara" from summer 2015
  3. Maybelline's "Great Lash Limited Edition Colored Mascara" from 2013
My suggestion? The NYX one, by far. It's the most opaque and readily available from what I can tell.

My Tips on Rocking Colored Mascara
(the links are to more detailed articles)
  1. Pick a color that compliments your eye color. Brown eyes can rock just about any color, there's a plus for those of us with boring eyes! Here's a chart on what colors compliment what eye colors.
    (source)
    Best Colored Mascara for Every Eye Color
  2. If you're wearing pink/red and it looks like you have pinkeye from far away, you're doing it right. You want your lashes to be completely covered. Don't worry, from up close you can tell it's the lashes, not the eyes.
  3. If you can still see black (or whatever color your natural eyelashes are) through the color, you're doing it wrong. Try applying it with a fan brush (see #4) or using more coats.
  4. To get the color all the way to the roots (especially from the aerial view of your lashes), use a fan brush or flat eyeshadow brush. This tip is also great if you have blonde lashes and use a brown or black mascara on a daily basis! How to Apply Mascara With a Fan Brush
  5. You can make your own makeshift colored mascara by heating up colored eyeliner. We all know colored liner is easier to find than colored mascara.
  6. To avoid clumpy, spidery lashes, wait for each coat to dry before going in with the next one.
  7. If you still end up with clumpy, spidery lashes, separate the individual lashes with a small tweezer or a sewing needle. If this method is good enough for Audrey Hepburn, it's good enough for you! It sounds tedious, but it's actually not that bad. Audrey Hepburn Mascara Trick
  8. Apply your mascara after you pick out your outfit, so you can match it better without having to guess what color you're going to wear today.
  9. I'm sure you could get away with it, but if you're doing winged liner, I wouldn't go for the standard black. I would use the mascara as liner so your eyeliner matches your eyelashes. There's a life hack/travel tip that if you forget eyeliner but you have your angled eyeliner brush, use your mascara as gel liner. Don't use it on your waterline though! I'm looking at you, people who used liquid eyeliner on the waterline as a kid. How to Use Mascara as Eyeliner
  10. As far as eyeshadow goes with colored mascara, I would stay away from it. I simply dust translucent powder across my eyelids to cut shine, and apply the mascara. Eyeshadow would distract from the mascara and make it look overdone.
  11. To make the color pop, use a matching, white, or nude pencil liner on the waterline.
I might make a similar post in the future for colored lipstick. If only I had readers to tell me if I should do it or not.

1 comment:

  1. yes do a post for colored lipstick!

    ReplyDelete