Saturday, March 26, 2016

First Impression: Eyebrow Threading


In case you didn't know (source)
Today I got my eyebrows done for the first time, threading specifically. It was kind of spur of the moment, so I didn't have time to mentally prepare myself. A while ago, I had online and found the highest rated eyebrow threading place in my area. I had been growing out my eyebrows and they were getting a bit out of hand. I didn't want to go at it with tweezers for fear of over-plucking like I had in the past, which is what forced me to grow them out in the first place. I was not looking to go back to square one. I resolved to get them done. The reason I chose threading over waxing was because I heard it was less painful, caused less redness afterward, and was more exact (it supposedly leaves you with a cleaner line). Also I just wanted to try it and thought it would be a cool experience. Which it was and I'm glad I did!
Honestly the fifteen minutes it took for the "therapist" to thread my eyebrows was agony, wondering if they were going to turn out horrible and overplucked. The therapist had very nice, bushy eyebrows though, so that was reassuring. She knew it was my first time, so she directed me what to do more. If you haven't seen videos of other people waxing (below), they ask you to pull the skin taught so the thread can catch the hairs easier. The pain was comparable to tweezing, but it was continuous and included smaller peach fuzz hair so more was being removed at once. It was totally bearable, and my eyes didn't water.


At first, I was skeptical about the sculpted brows I was left with. I've grown accustomed to having more natural, less defined brows since growing them out. But I decided I love them. I didn't want to put myself in the position of having to choose to pluck to not to pluck a certain hair, like I used to when I plucked a lot. I used to pluck every day back in middle school through freshman year. My eyebrows were pretty bad. Here's an old picture for your pleasure:
Fun fact: this was the first time I straightened my hair (using my friend's flatiron) and I whitened my teeth using PicsArt XD) - August 24, 2014
I thought this was cute at the time. Or maybe I didn't notice. Still have that purple sports bra.

Time it took: 15 mins
Price: $17.00
Pain: 1/5
Redness: 1/5
Will I do it again? Probably not, but we'll see. I'm going to try to keep up the shape with tweezers.

Advice if you're getting your eyebrows threaded for the first time:
  • Don't wear a lot of eye makeup, because you'll smudge it when your fingers are all over your eyelids
  • Don't apply makeup to the threaded areas afterwards for at least a few hours, it might clog your pores
  • If they ask you what shape you want, "just clean it up" will usually suffice
  • Don't give them the benefit of the doubt. I've heard way too many "bad thread job" stories about people who went in feeling skeptical (maybe the therapist had thin/overplucked brows herself, or the place just seemed shady). Don't do that to yourself. Save your brows.
Here's the results:
Before - sorry you can't see it that well and you only get one eyebrow. That's my good side tbh
After - Don't they look great??? Also look at my earrings, do I look hot or do I look hot

No comments:

Post a Comment