Thursday, October 13, 2016

Everything is Temporary

I think (one of) the keys to happiness is understanding that nothing lasts forever and that everything is temporary.
If you understand that, you won't be upset over change because you expect it. You won't be upset when you lose an expensive water bottle, or your favorite necklace. You won't be upset when you have a fight and lose a friend. And it's okay for that to happen, because it does, and it's meant to. I had one of the most fun summers of my life this summer, and I didn't want to let it go. I met new people, I did fun things, I took risks, and I also spent time with kids, because I love working with kids, and it was exactly as fulfilling as I expected it to be. At the end of the summer, the camper I had been working on to come out of her shell did, and she thanked me for it. She gave me a card. I spent the last three weeks of camp playing hand games with her and other kids, trying to get them to talk to her. I invited her over to play games with other campers. I found her a seat at the table she wanted to sit at during lunch. And that card was more than I ever wanted. Helping her was reward enough for me, but her card gave me even more joy. I miss another camper who gave me a hard time. She sat in my lap sometimes when she was in a good mood, and I miss that. I miss being one of two counselors who could get her to stop crying. But now I got a new job, and I can't work with kids anymore. I just need to understand that this is a new beginning in my life. The hustle and bustle of swim season is temporary, my job as a summer camp counselor was temporary, and this new job is also temporary. But that's not a bad thing. All I'm doing is living life, gaining a variety of experiences and putting myself out there. That's a key to happiness.
So live life, understanding that, and don't get attached to any one thing, one person, or one experience. These will come and go, and all you have to do is allow them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment