Tuesday, May 2, 2017

8th Gen Honda Civic In-Depth Review


This is my car, the day I came home with it.

The original reason I fell in love with this car was the modern look, starting with the sleek exterior starting from 2006 (much more modern than its Toyota counterpart, the Corolla) and including the two-tier instrument cluster. I love the digital speedometer, the convenient brightness adjustment, and the headlight warning light (to let you know when your headlights are on. I've been guilty of forgetting to turn them off).

This car has little storage for bigger items, which is to be expected of a compact sedan like this one. I have just enough space for an umbrella, a baseball hat, and a few makeup bags. Other than that, my purse sits in the passenger seat and so does everything else. It's good in a way, because it keeps me from cluttering it up. The storage for smaller items, however, is ample. Plenty of room for those half-melted Chapstick tubes and runaway pennies. I mainly use them for parking meter quarters, my phone charger, aux cord, my phone, stuff like that. The center armrest (which is adjustable for short people!) has a good amount of space (as you can see, I have my Speak Now album along with Melophobia in there right now), but it has this weird felt stuff at the bottom? Not sure if the previous owner put that there, or if it's an original piece. I wish it was a two-tier storage system, but I understand that's not possible with the adjustable armrest. The glovebox is small beyond compensation.


Next we have the original stereo system. It features an aux port and CD player even in the base model along with a cigarette lighter port. The knobs are easy to find while keeping your eyes on the road and simple to use. The buttons feel high quality. This is an A to B car, so there are no fancy bells and whistles, but it does exactly what you need in a straightforward way.
The stereo system is geared to use a Sirius XM radio, which requires a monthly subscription which you pay for over the phone, which nobody would do and I'm not sure why they included it, but whatever. That's what the "disp" button is for apparently.
 This is the backseat. I stash a cute little throw pillow back there and a blanket in the trunk in case of an impromptu nap.

Some things that bother me about this car are the lack of cupholders and charging ports. There are one cigarette lighter and two cupholders for the entire car. Five people. There is no rear center armrest with cupholders on the LX model. Also, there is no trunk button on the key fob on the LX model, making it necessary to open the driver's side door and pop the trunk that way. Another thing, and this is just an issue with my particular car, is the rear seats are reluctant to fold down. Instead of pulling the release and simply walking around to the rear door and pulling the seats back, I have to get inside the trunk and push on the seats while simultaneously pulling the release. It's probably very funny from a third person perspective. Anyway, it doesn't seem stable enough to take a nap in there with the rear seats down unfortunately. I tried it and all I could hear was the constant noise of the fabric rubbing against itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment